In Remembrance

The Korean Conflict

Captain A. J. Thomas '38
Captain Arthur J. Thomas Jr.
    Captain Thomas grew up in Kingston, Pennsylvania. He had been a student at the Pennington School in New Jersey and entered Dickinson with the class of 1938.   He left the College after his freshman year and served more than four years as an artillery officer during World War II.  He lost his life in the crash of a railway "troop train" in West Lafayette, Ohio on September 11, 1950.  In the accident, scores of his fellow members of the 28th Division Pennsylvania National Guard being transported west were also killed.  He was survived by his wife and four infant children.

Captain James H. Yeingst
   Captain Yeingst was a nine year Air Force veteran who died  in the crash of an operational B-36 bomber on November 22, 1950, near Cleburne, Texas.   From nearby Mount Holly, Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Carlisle High School, he entered Dickinson College with the class of 1943.  He excelled in science but left the College while a sophomore to enlist in U.S. Army Signal Corps in October, 1941.  He served the first thirteen months of World War II in the south Pacific, rising swiftly to the rank of Master Sergeant.  He was selected for training as an Army Air Force flight crew cadet and was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in April 1944.  Trained as a navigator and as an expert in radar technology, he was sent to England to fly with the 8th Air Force, completing a total of sixty-five missions. Thirty-five of these he flew with the Royal Air Force, probably on night missions and probably as a radar expert.  Following the war, he contemplated a return to Dickinson but ultimately remained with the Air Force.  He was serving as a radar officer when he lost his life. While at Dickinson he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma.
Capt. James Yeingst  '43

photograph not available
Private First Class William Ewing Davis Jr.:
    Born March 22, 1927, PFC Davis graduated from Media High School in Media, Pennsylvania in 1945 and entered Dickinson with the class of 1951 in September 1947.  He had previously served two years with the Fifth Army Air Force.  He left the College in June 1950 and after working for a time with the Sun Oil Company re-enlisted in the Army in September, 1951.  He was killed in an aerial collision over San Antonio, Texas.  While at the College, he was a member of the varsity football team.

Cadet John "Jack" R. Cliffe
    Born in April, 1929 in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, this U.S. Navy Air cadet was killed on December 4, 1951 at Cabaniss Field near Corpus Christi, Texas when his Bearcat fighter aircraft went in to a spin and crashed beside a runway. He was twenty-two years old, had enlisted in September 1950 and was within three weeks of receiving his fighter pilot's wings.  While at Dickinson he was a popular member of the varsity swim team and Phi Delta Theta.  Called "Long John" because of his six foot three inch height, he graduated with the class of 1950.
Cadet Jack Cliffe  '50

Capt. Richard R. Galt '45 Captain Richard Russell Galt
    Richard Galt was born in February, 1924 in Egypt, where his father was dean of the American University in Cairo.  His father later moved on to Susquehanna College and it was from Selinsgrove that he entered Dickinson with the class of 1945.  After two years and with the war well under way, he became one of three members of the campus chapter of Phi Delta Theta to transfer to the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York.  He graduated in 1946 and immediately volunteered for military aviation.  He trained as a specialist in jets and served in Japan and Korea.  He moved on to become a military test pilot and  was killed at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida on October 13, 1953 during the secret testing of the latest version of the F84F  jet fighter/bomber. He is buried at West Point.

Civil War
World War I
World War II