Bosler Cartouche - The Wilderness Years (1941-2000)
||As you might expect for a 3 ½ ton piece of stone, the
Bosler Cartouche remained relatively stationary for its first 55 years
of existence. In place above the entrance to the Bosler Library, it was
seen regularly by Dickinson students from 1885 to 1940. During the second
half of the 20th century, however, it began a journey that eventually brought
it back to a few yards away from its original home.
larger photo of Bosler.
|The Cartouche was removed in 1940 when the walls of Bosler
were covered with limestone. It was placed in storage in a barn, where
it remained, forgotten, for over 25 years until the barn was torn down.
||The class of 1913, which was preparing for their 55th year reunion,
came to the rescue of the Cartouche. In 1968 it was placed between Adams
and Witwer Halls facing the law school. This was also the last year that
Bosler served as Dickinson's Library. The Spahr Library opened in 1968,
and Bosler was converted to office and classroom use.
larger photo of Cartouche.
Back to Dickinson Home Page