Bosler Hall
Bosler Cartouche - The Early Years (1885-1940)

Cartouche The piece of stone that was once part of Bosler Hall is known as a cartouche. The Art & Architecture Thesaurus defines cartouches as "Ornamental enframements, such as for an inscription, monogram, or coat of arms, or ornately framed tablets, often bearing inscriptions."
The Bosler Cartouche was carved in 1885 and appeared above a portice at the entrance to the building. It shows two putti, or naked cherubs, holding a scroll which shows the name of the building. It remained in place until 1940.

See detail of the portico entrance.

Construction In 1940 and 1941, the portico and turret were removed and the original sandstone walls of Bosler Hall were covered with limestone. As part of this construction, the cartouche was removed and placed in storage.

See a larger photo of the construction.

Next Next

Next Back
Home Back to Dickinson Home Page