This photo was taken during the last men's basketball game ever to be played in Alumni Gym, against Western Maryland College. The Devils lost the game by a score of 79 to 66. Pictured here at the opening tip of the final match at Alumni Gym for the Devils are number 23 Dennis Crawford, the captain of the team and the rest of the starting lineup against Western Maryland. Freysinger is the Dickinson player, in white, most directly facing the camera. Following this match the team was invited to the NCAA Division III National Tournament where they lost in the first round.
The Alumni Gymnasium was built on the site of old South College and opened January 9, 1929 with a men's basketball game against The University of Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, as with the final game, Dickinson lost that match too, 37 to 28. For several years Dickinson College had made futile attempts to raise the appropriate funds to build a new facility, but finally, with the revival and effectiveness of the General Alumni Association, such a project was put into action in 1928. The new facility had a total cost of $284,794.39 of which only $88,500 were raised by loans to the college. The Alumni Gymnasium housed facilities for physical education and indoor athletics. In addition, the the gymnasium floor it had 5 offices, a swimming pool (25x75), exercise rooms, a locker room with 890 lockers and a shower room with 32 showers. The College utilized the Alumni Gymnasium from 1929 until 1980.