This photograph, taken in 1941, is believed to be of an inter-sorority
tournament between the Chi Omegas and the Phi Mus, held on the main floor
of the Alumni Gymnasium. Seen in the picture is Susan Rohrer, a captain,
Janet Thornley, Rosalie Milanik, Evelyn Fansler, Mary Jane Day and Alice
Abbott. Chi Omega was one of the oldest sororities on the campus,
having been organized from a local sorority in 1907. Phi Mu was instituted
on campus from 1917 to 1967, when it separated from its national over unacceptable
interracial policies. This annual basketball tournament provided some of
the most interesting events in the women's sports programs during this
There had been some attempt to organize early varsity teams in basketball.
The first Varsity Women's Basketball Team was in 1924. It consisted
of eight women, namely:
Manager - Rose Buckson Forwards - Mary McDermott, Virginia
Watts, and Florence Speck Center - Sara McDermott Side Center - Ruth Tietrich Guards - Margaret Paul, Dolly
Wertz, and Rose Buckson
During the 1925 season, five new women joined the team and six returned.
The captain was Margaret Paul and the manager was Elizabeth Hann.
The team's coach was Ruth M. Walker. They had a record of 4 victories
and 1 defeat. The record was as follows:
12 Lebanon Valley
14 Shippensburg Normal 18 Temple
The Dickinson Women's Basketball Team has only progressed since its
first season. The game has changed, as has its acceptance and its organization.
The Dickinson women now compete regularly against other institutions and
are now a member of the Centennial Conference, after being part of the
MAC between 1976 and 1993.