"Old East" not only housed students but it was also the home of social clubs such as Fraternities, both men and women deans of the college, and was the home of the College chaplain. The College President lived with his family through much of the nineteenth century in the east wing of the building, as well. During a second set of renovations in 1924, the porch shown above was torn down.1
Old East would go under major construction one more time in 1968 when it was renovated - to the point of reconstruction - to become an academic building.
Sources: For more on East College, click here